National ROTC Coverage: 2019
- 25 April 2019 World Magazine article "A league of their own". Note: Retired U.S. Navy Capt. Paul E. Mawn, chairman of Advocates for Harvard ROTC, describes the history of Harvard's relationship with ROTC in an article exploring other cases in which universities objected to other organizations besides the military.
- 9 May 2019 Harvard Gazette article "Strong yield for the Class of 2023". Note: "Six veterans and 28 students who expressed an interest in ROTC are among the members of the Class of 2023. In recent years, Harvard has increased efforts to recruit individuals who have served in the U.S. military, working with the Defense Department, joining Service to School’s Vetlink program in 2017, and conducting outreach via community college centers for veterans."
- 23 May 2019 Columbia University NROTC Commissioning Ceremony.
- 29 May 2019 Harvard Magazine article "The Greatest Demonstration of Public Service". Note: "The ceremony's stentorian guest speaker, General Mark A. Milley, currently Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army, has been nominated by President Donald Trump to become chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The Princeton graduate joked about infiltrating enemy lines before admitting to having a Harvard brother, but then turned serious. “The probability of your being deployed in harm’s way is very high,” he told the officer candidates—and in the face of that challenge, he offered advice. “Being a military officer is unlike any profession on earth. It’s not just a job, it’s a way of life,” he asserted. The new ensigns and lieutenants would need to be extraordinarily competent as part of their obligation to the men and women looking to them not only for personal leadership but for evidence of competence and character. Those troops “don’t want to follow someone who’s immoral, who’s out there doing things like lying, cheating…They’re looking to you to have the spine to stand up and do that which is right, even when it’s going to cost you your career…who is not afraid to speak truth to power no matter what the cost will be to yourselves. Someone who is honest, who has standards, ….”"
- 29 May 2019 "Remarks at ROTC Commissioning" by Harvard president Lawrence Bacow. Note: President Bacow said "Military service is the greatest demonstration of public service. In the years to come, I hope to strengthen the ways in which Harvard acknowledges the contributions of students in the Reserve Officer Training Corps and of active duty and veteran students and alumni from across the University. And I hope to see more undergraduates on this platform in the future, inspired and emboldened by the example you have set for them, and those who have come before you." He also noted that both the office and home of Harvard presidents had been used by George Washington and his troops during the Revolutionary War.
Please contact us if
you have more links to add.